Friday, June 7, 2013

Blog 9: Spanish as a second language



I have realized that my experiences with my tico family represent Halliday’s 7 functions of language. The first function is instrumental and this is when I try to use my Spanish to express my needs to my family. First I need to find out where my bedroom and bathroom are. Then I need to know how to use the shower. I also need to know when my momma tica can do my laundry. I use the regulatory function of language to tell them things I need to do. These include when I needed to leave, what time dinner and breakfast is, and when I am getting home. Then the last functions are interactional and personal and these evolved better after I took several of my Spanish classes; I learned how to interact with my family more and get to know them on a more personal level these two weeks more than my first week with my tico family. It is hard to reach ** and ** because I am not fluent enough in Spanish yet. I did not realize until this trip that language has different functions. I have never heard of Halliday’s 7 functions of language, but as we were discussing in class about what each function means I started to connect the functions to my experiences with my tico family right away, which is great because I have experienced these functions first hand and it makes them more meaningful to me. 

As a future teacher I can truly understand what it is like to by in the shoes of my ELL students. If I have ELL students in my classroom that just arrived in the United States and are learning English for the first time I will be able to empathize with them because I was in their exact same shoes in Costa Rica. I will understand that they first need to just express their needs in English, then express things they need to do, and from there they will be able to learn more English to move into the other functions of language. I see now that learning will be difficult for my students if they are still learning the language. If my students are not yet fluent in English then how are they supposed to learn new concepts if they do not even know a lot of English words to help them understand the new material? 

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. Aside from English and the Asian languages, Spanish is spoken on several different continents and is one of the most adopted languages for international commerce and politics. I am also learning Spanish as a second language and i know it has lots of benefits.
    Spanish school Costa Rica

    ReplyDelete