Monday, June 3, 2013

Blog 4: First host family experience 5/25/13



My first host family experience was great! I felt very comfortable in their house because I was able to communicate well with the family. The family spoke Spanish to me, but when I had trouble talking or understanding the father would help me because he was good at speaking English. The mother was not as good as the father with English, but we were able to communicate because we could trade off between the English and Spanish we knew. 

The first night I was extremely nervous, but as soon as I got in the car I felt better because I met both of the daughters who are ages 2 and 6. Then the father said a couple things in English, which made me feel even more at ease. Once we got to the house I was welcomed by my Mama Tica and given a delicious dinner. After dinner we tried to get to know each other and watch the big Heredia and Cartage futbol game, which my papa tica and I bonded over since I have played soccer most of my life.   

Their house was big compared to others in Heredia and I had my own bedroom and bathroom. My living conditions were much more lavish than I expected. I expected a small room and to share the bathroom with others, but my room was big and so was my bathroom. The house looked very modern and similar to a house I would see in the United States. The girls even had their own tree house outside with many toys. My Mama Tica took wonderful care of me because I always had a great breakfast and an even better dinner. My laundry was also done three times during the week that I stayed there. I felt very spoiled and I appreciated everything my family did for me. The two girls were adorable and I had the best times with them. We played hide and seek and a lot of hand clap games. The thing that surprised me the most was that the family loved to listen to music, but all the music they liked was in English. We watched many Bee Jees videos along with many Michael Jackson videos.  






No comments:

Post a Comment