Friday, June 7, 2013

Blog 12: Service project at the farm 6/05/13



The service project to the LifeMonteVerde farm was an experience that made me feel like I can make a difference even if it’s on a small scale. The farmer at the LifeMonteVerde farm talked to us about sustainability and how his farm is sustainable, but in order for the world to change each farm needs to do their part. The farmer explained to us that this farm, earth, and everything is not “mine” it is “ours” and together little by little we can make it better.

As a future teacher this truly inspired me because I want to make a difference in every child’s live, but I know this is impossible so I need to make a difference in the students that I have and then from there it can expand. Those students that I make a difference with could then go out and change other people’s lives in their future careers or daily lives. For example, I can ensure that my students are reading on grade level or higher and they might go home and teach their parents or siblings that do not know how to read. This effect keeps going and I know I did make a difference.

The other thing that the farm made me think about as a future teacher was making sure that my students learn about nature and the environment in my classroom. The farmer said that children today do not go outside nearly as much as they used to because parents are scared their child will get hurt or taken and also because children would rather sit inside and play video games than go outside to play. In my classroom I will try to incorporate teaching my students about nature and the environment in my lessons. For example, recycling or why spiders are good for the Earth and not just scary. I also want to have many of my lessons outside and give them hands on learning with nature. Along with that I want to start a garden with my students or I do not have the resources to do that I want to plant some plants in my classroom. Growing things with my students gives them responsibility and gives them a better chance to respect and understand why nature and our environment are so important.


No comments:

Post a Comment