Monday, June 3, 2013

Blog 5: La Carpio 5/24/13


 Today we went to La Carpio and it was something I have never experienced first had before, but I had an idea of what it was going to look like before we arrived. We walked through the streets of La Carpio with our abeluea to go door to door and teach the people living in La Carpio about the concept of recycling. This was the first time many of the people in La Carpio heard of the term recycling, which meant we had to explain that they needed to separate their organic waste from the rest of their trash. We also told them they only needed to put their trash on the streets on Mondays and Thursdays. Our abeula’s name was Mollyia, and she was a great person with such a happy personality. During our walk, I realized that these people were all born into poverty and that poverty is not a choice. I feel extremely lucky to have been born into a middle class family in the United States because I know I have a great life and am very fortunate.

As a future teacher, I think education is key to leaving poverty; because of Gail, the woman who started the Humanitarian Foundation, many women are being educated on how to live better lives. Gail helps La Carpio by teaching women how to escape drugs and abusive situations, gain an education, and help them escape poverty. It was great to see how the people of La Carpio are trying so hard to improve their city and the people in it. I got to see young children perform a dance that represented the story of La Carpio, which was a really neat to experience. This dance class helps children of La Carpio get involved with something and keeps them off the streets and out of trouble. This is one reason that motivates me even more to be a teacher because I can help with after school programs that students are interested to participate in such as sports, dance, and many more different clubs.            

One thing I want to teach my students since the La Carpio experience that I might not have thought about teaching them before is to value that they have the opportunity to get very good education and others may not be as lucky as them. The hard part about doing that is that I can tell my students all I want, but they really won’t understand or appreciate what they have until they see or experience something like I did in La Carpio. To fix that problem I could show them the pictures I took when we visited La Carpio and explain to them some of the conditions that children their age have to deal with. When I was in elementary school/around my future students’ age I did not appreciate what I had, but when I got older I soon realized how blessed I am to have a great education and family around me, but seeing La Carpio made me even more thankful for what I have.  




No comments:

Post a Comment